Caernarfon Civic Society

Caernarfon Civic Society was formed in 1965. Its aims include promoting high standards of planning, design and architecture in the town, and raising public awareness of local history, geography and the protection of the natural and architectural environment. It also promotes policies and projects which will improve living standards within communities.

in the 21st century, it has placed slate plaques at many historical locations in the town, accompanied by HistoryPoints QR codes which provide a gateway to further information.

Website of Caernarfon Civic Society

HiPoints collection
Architect John Lloyd's former home - he designed many landmark buildings, including his family home
Caernarfon's first bank - bank founded here in 1792, soon taken over by "Twm Chwarae Teg"
Site of Lewis Jones' birthplace - he helped found the Welsh colony in Patagonia, where Trelew is named after him
Site of Wales' first county library - part-funded by a New York steel magnate to take books out to rural areas
Former Y Goluead printworks - several newspapers were printed in this Victorian warehouse
Site of Herald newspaper office - home to several newspapers from 1906 until a disastrous fire in 1984
Former British School - built in 1856 for educating children from poor families
Former schoolmaster's house - built in 1856 for the British School's headmaster
Former home of Ellis Davies MP
- he was also a solicitor and director of London department store Selfridges
Sir Llewelyn Turner memorial - his many achievements included organising a water supply after a cholera outbreak
Ellen Edwards memorial - Ellen taught navigation to more than 1,000 mariners
Former Capel Pendref - town's first purpose-built chapel. The poet Caledfryn was minister 1832-1848
Harbour Trust office - built 1840 for the trust, which still occupies the building
Royal Welsh Yacht Club house - the club has occupied this medieval tower since the 1850s
Former home of Leila Megane - the international opera star lived here with composer husband T Osborne Roberts
Former home of Dilys W Williams - first female conductor of the National Eisteddfod choir
Former home of Dilys E Edwards - the composer had studied with Herbert Howells and was a frequent broadcaster
The Hanging Tower - many convicts were hanged here, the last in 1910 for killing his mistress on Christmas Day
The old jail - Victorian prison built on site of predecessor. One criminal had spent 42 terms inside by 1899
Former of poet William Morris - won National Eisteddfod chair in 1934 and was later Archdruid of Wales