Former home of architect John Lloyd, Caernarfon

Former home of architect John Lloyd, Twthill, Caernarfon

Frondeg was originally home to architect John Lloyd and his family. His influence on the Victorian architecture of Caernarfon can be seen throughout the town. There is no evidence that he had any architectural training. Like many during that age, his career was founded on self-education and a natural ability to turn ideas into plans.

It’s thought that he was born in 1793. His father was Captain William Lloyd of Shirehall Street, who was the “Custom House Boat Officer” when customs officers were based at what’s now the Anglesey Arms Hotel.

John married Grace Davies, daughter of Captain Griffith Davies, on 13 May 1815 and they had six children. He designed their family home here, overlooking the Menai Strait, and most of his neighbours’ houses in Twthill.

One of his earliest works was the Ebenezer Wesleyan Chapel. The Wesleyan cause played an important part in his life, as he was assistant preacher and joint trustee of the chapel with RM Preece, father of Sir William Preece. He probably designed all the Wesleyan chapels in the area.

John Lloyd was arguably one of the most important architects in North Wales of his time. His work can be seen in many other communities in the region. After a long illness, he died on 24 October 1867 aged 74. He was buried four days later at Llanbeblig Church. Everything in his will was left to his grandson, John Lloyd Nealey.

The main buildings he designed in Caernarfon were:

  • Ebenezer Chapel, 1826
  • St Mary's Church Gallery, 1828
  • Williams & Co. Bank, 1830
  • Frondeg and other houses at Twthill, 1832
  • The Workhouse, 1832
  • 18 terraced houses in Wesley Street and John Lloyd Street, 1832
  • The Market Hall, 1832
  • The “Feed my Lambs” church hall, 1836
  • St Peblig’s Church Gallery, 1840
  • The Harbour Trust office, 1840
  • The Church School, 1842 (demolished for the inner bypass road)
  • Beblig Bridge, 1844
  • The police station, 1853 (now the offices of Cymen)
  • Royal Welsh Fusiliers Barracks, 1855
  • The British School and master’s house, 1856.

With thanks to Rhiannon Jones, of Caernarfon Civic Society

Postcode: LL55 1PE