Tywyn promenade

Tywyn promenade 

This promenade was built in the late 19th century, as a sea defence and to encourage visitors to come to Tywyn.

The foundation stone of the “seawall esplanade” was laid in November 1889 by John Corbett, MP for Droitwich, as described on the commemorative stone at the prom’s north end. He had used some of his fortune from the salt industry to buy the Ynysymaengwyn estate at Tywyn, including land along the shore here. He later funded construction of the initial section of promenade and sea wall. Corbett Avenue, leading to the prom, is named in his honour.

The promenade was extended in 1893, and “model villas” were soon built at the northern end. For decades, these remained the only buildings on the prom at Towyn-on-Sea, as the embryonic resort was named. The prom and its shelter – now known as the “Victorian shelter” – were gifted to the town in 1898.

In 1877 the recently formed Towyn Pier Company laid the foundation stone for Tywyn’s pier, which was expected to extend almost 100 metres (300ft) out to sea. The initial section was sold to John Corbett in 1880. The pier was never completed, but the road leading to its site is still named Pier Road.

A tap and water trough, for “man and beast”, were installed at the prom in 1892, when road vehicles were still pulled by horses.

Postcode: LL36 0DE    View Location Map