Abergavenny LNWR war memorial
Abergavenny LNWR war memorial
The London & North Western Railway war memorial is displayed in the entrance passage at Abergavenny Market Hall, to the right of the town’s Second World War memorial and opposite the First World War memorial.
The Great Western Railway owned the main route through Abergavenny, but the LNWR had a large depot and a station at Brecon Road. You can read more about the LNWR in Abergavenny on our page about the Railway Inn.
The former LNWR employees who died in the First World War are listed below in the order their names appear on the brass plaque. They include Edward Norgrove, killed in Belgium in 1915. His brother Alfred was a Territorial soldier and was killed later that year in a railway accident, having returned to LNWR duties temporarily until he got over a bad cold.
The dedication on the memorial says the plaque was erected by the employees in the locomotive department of the LNWR “Abergavenny and sub-stations”.
The names of two men who died in the Second World War are written on the wooden frame below the plaque. They were too young to have worked for the LNWR but were probably employees of the London Midland & Scottish Railway, into which the LNWR was amalgamated in 1923.
Postcode: NP7 5HD View Location Map
First World War
- Booth, Charles James. Lance Corporal WR/175189. Died of illness on 10/09/1919, age 39. Royal Engineers, 1st/1st Cheshire Field Coy. Abergavenny New Cemetery. Awarded the Territorial Efficiency Medal. Son of Charles and Charlotte Booth, of Abergavenny; husband of Harriet Booth (nee Jones), of 97 North St., Abergavenny. Worked in LNWR locomotive department.
- Bowden, Herbert James G. Private 49704, Welsh Regiment 2nd Bn. Died 09/11/1917. Tyne Cot Memorial. Son of William and Mary Bowden, of 20 Princes Street.
- Bedford, JAC. Private 49702. Died 03/11/1917, age 19. Welsh Regiment 1st/5th Bn. Buried at Beersheba War Cemetery. Son of George and Catherine Bedford, of Abergavenny.
- Evans, GT. Private 4/12902. Died 15/06/1916. South Wales Borderers 4th Bn. Amara War Cemetery. Worked in LNWR locomotive department.
- Fitzpatrick, Norbert. Private 1654, Monmouthshire Regiment. Died 19/05/1915, age 20. Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial Son of Mr JF and Mrs H Fitzpatrick, of 37, Cae-Pen-y-Dre, Abergavenny. Worked in LNWR locomotive department.
- Gibbons, Reginald Charles. Ordinary Seaman J/71872, Royal Navy HMS Contest. Died 18/09/1917, age 18 Plymouth Naval Memorial. Son of John and Ellen Gibbons, of 71, Union Rd., Abergavenny.
- Jones, TR. Worked in LNWR locomotive department. Probably: Reginald Thomas (or Thomas Reginald) Jones, Private 290227. Monmouthshire Regiment "A" Coy. 3rd Bn. Died 05/05/1915, age 19. Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial Son of Mrs Sarah Jones, of 2, Albert Place, Princes St., Abergavenny.
- Knight, Arthur Christopher. Serjeant, 36831, Lancashire Fusiliers, 19th Bn. Died 28/11/1917, age 33. Etaples Military Cemetery Son of James and Ann Knight, of Llanarth, Abergavenny; husband of Mary Ellen Knight, of 57, Tudor St., Abergavenny.
- Morgan, OJ. Gallipoli. Private 2192. Died of exposure on 29/11/1915, age 24. Herefordshire Regiment, "B" Coy. 1st/1st Bn. Lala Baba Cemetery, Turkey. Son of Mrs Modica Morgan; husband of Gertrude Lucy Morgan, of 69 Widemarsh St., Hereford. Worked in LNWR locomotive department.
- Norgrove, Edward Clarence, Private 1522, Monmouthshire Regiment, 3rd Bn. Died 02/05/1915, age 19. Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial. Son of Alfred William and Maria Magdelene Norgrove, of 1, Stanhope St., Abergavenny. Worked in LNWR locomotive department. His brother Alfred Charles, who also worked for the LNWR in Abergavenny, was accidentally killed on the railway at Willesden Junction, London, on 19/12/1915 during temporary discharge as a Territorial soldier while suffering from a bad cold.
- Spilsbury, Herbert John Serjeant 290432, Monmouthshire Regiment, 1st/2nd Bn. Died 02/12/1917, age 28. Cambrai Memorial, Louverval Son of Mrs Annie Spilsbury, of 13, Prince's St., Abergavenny; husband of Mary Harriet Spilsbury, of 54, James St., Tredegar. Worked in LNWR locomotive department.
- Savegar, Charles Leopold. Private 1536. A Company 3rd Bn. Monmouthshire Regiment. Died 8/5/15, age 18. Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial. Son of George and Alice Savegar of 8 Asylum Terrace, Firs Road, Abergavenny. Worked in LNWR locomotive department.
- Taylor, HJ. Died of wounds in France. Worked in LNWR locomotive department.
- White, Albert Ivor Serjeant 2067, Monmouthshire Regiment, 3rd Bn. Died 02/05/1915, age 31. Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial Son of Joseph and Mary White, of Gordon Place, Park St., Abergavenny.
- Webb, Albert. Private 2886. Monmouthshire Regiment, 3rd Bn. Died 9/7/16.Thiepval Memorial. Worked in LNWR locomotive department.
- Watkins, WD. Probably: Walter David Watkins. Private 24389. Died 07/07/1916. Welsh Regiment, 16th Bn. Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France.
Second World War
- Davies, Ivor Ernest Charles, Sergeant 4076896 (Sgt Major on LNWR war memorial). Died 22/09/1944, aged 27, during the attempted airborne invasion of the Netherlands in the Arnhem area. Monmouthshire Regiment. Buried at Mook War Cemetery.
- Hill, William Walter, Sergeant 1412570. Died 29/06/1943 aged 22. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Buried Eindhoven (Woensel) General Cemetery. Son of Mary Ann Hill.