Old Aberystwyth lifeboat station

Old Aberystwyth lifeboat station

Photo of old Aberystwyth lifeboat station and lifeboatThis building was erected, at a cost of £250, in 1875 to house the town’s lifeboat. The boat was hauled on a trailer to the beach for launching. The old photo, courtesy of the RNLI, shows the self-righting lifeboat ON562 John and Naomie Beattie outside the station. The boat was stationed in Aberstwyth from 1906 to 1932. There is more about the history of Aberystwyth’s lifeboats on our page about the current station, at the harbour.

After the RNLI vacated the old lifeboat station, the BBC used the old building as a broadcasting studio, from 1990 to 2000. Previously the BBC had a simple studio in Cambrian Chambers. With more space and equipment in the old lifeboat house, the corporation was able to broadcast complete programmes from Aberystwyth. Here farmer and broadcaster Dai Jones of Llanilar recorded his programme Ar Eich Cais (music requested by Radio Cymru listeners). It was also a base for journalists Tom Evans and John Meredith.

After the BBC vacated the premises, Ceredigion County Council used the building for general storage. In 2020 the building became a storage facility for Ceredigion Archives. Thanks to a grant from the Welsh Government, the building was adapted to ensure that temperature and humidity inside were regulated.

Postcode: SY23 2HP View Location Map

Website of Ceredigion Archives

RNLI website