Tudor Tavern, Llantwit Major

Tudor Tavern, Llantwit Major

This building became a pub in the 1840s but was a house for centuries before then. The lower section is thought to date from the late 16th or early 17th century. The taller extension at the street corner was added in the early 20th century.

The pub was initially known as the Globe Hotel or Globe Inn. In 1864 it became the terminus of a new omnibus route to Llantrisant station, for travel to and from Cardiff. The bus was pulled by two horses and ran on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

In 1897 a navvy (construction labourer) hanged himself in the stables of the inn. He had been feeling unwell the day before and was penniless. A police officer had advised him to go the workhouse. His name was unknown when the inquest was held, at the Globe.

There were many navvies in the area at this time, constructing the Vale of Glamorgan railway between Bridgend and Barry. Lieutenant Colonel John Ward made several visits as organising secretary of the new Navvies’ Union. He made speeches from the base of the old preaching cross (where the war memorial now stands) to urge navvies to join the trade union. He was later a Liberal MP.

In 1896 Frederick Chatterton, proprietor of the Globe Hotel, was a witness in the trial of four navvies accused of violently attacking a man who had simply asked them for directions to a lodging house. Mr Chatterton and his family later emigrated to North America. His son Richard enlisted with the Canadian army after the First World War began. Richard (known as Dicky) was killed in France in 1917 and is commemorated on the war memorial, opposite the pub.

During the 20th century a pet monkey and parrot were kept at the inn, amusing the customers. There have long been tales of ghosts in the pub.

Postcode: CF61 1SB    View Location Map

Website of Tudor Tavern