Llandudno & Colwyn Bay Tramway Society

The society records, and raises awareness of, the history of the narrow-gauge (3ft 6in) tramway which connected Llandudno to Colwyn Bay via Rhos-on-Sea from October 1907 until March 1956.

It has obtained a tram body from the same batch as the 10 ex-Bournemouth cars which moved to North Wales in the early 1930s. Previous plans to restore one to full working order have been put on hold due to the spiralling costs and nowhere to operate it. In consequence the "new" ends built to the same specification as the original trams were used on Replica No.7, completed in time for the centenary of the tramway opening in 2007. This was mounted on a road trailer (hence being about one foot taller than the original trams) and has attended numerous events - even as far away as Birkenhead - and been hauled along the length of the tramway route many times.

The society has a pair of working electric bogies from a former Lisbon tram which could easily be substituted should a suitable length of track become available in the area on which to operate the replica tram. It also has plans to restore a much smaller tram (formerly used at a garden centre in Cheshire) which could be used to give rides on portable track at local events.

These and other projects depend on donations and membership subscriptions, to meet the costs of accommodating the vehicles as well as restoration and maintenance. Additional manpower would always be welcome!

A membership form and other information about the society are available from the society's website: http://www.swissitalianpaddlesteamers.com/lcbtramsoc/home.html

 

HiPoints collection

West Shore, Llandudno - the 1920s circular shelter was opposite the tramway terminus
Mostyn Broadway, Llandudno - extra trams were run from the Grand Theatre stop after shows
Craig-y-Don, Llandudno - the trams ran through Bodafon Fields on an exclusive right of way
Rhos-on-Sea - the tram depot had eight tracks, providing covered accommodation for 32 trams
Rhos-on-Sea - there was a tram stop in the road outside the Rhos Playhouse cinema
Rhos-on-Sea - trams ran along a section of the promenade
Rhos-on-Sea - trams turned a sharp corner besude the Mount Stewart Hotel
Old Colwyn - trams terminated beside the Queen's Hotel from 1915 to 1930