Former home of Rev JE Hughes, Caernarfon

Former home of Rev JE Hughes, Caernarfon

From 1904 to 1932, Bryn Peris was home to Methodist minister John Evan Hughes, who edited a literary journal for more than 20 years.

He was born in Caernarfon in 1865. He studied at universities in Aberysywyth and Cambridge, gaining his MA at St John’s College, Cambridge, in 1896.

Portrait of Rev J E HughesIn 1892 he began preaching at Capel Siloh, where he had been baptised. He became the chapel’s minister in 1894. Nonconformist ministers usually moved to different chapels in their lifetimes, but John remained at the helm of Siloh until 1926, when ill health forced him to step down. He then worshipped there until his death in 1932.

As a young minister, he was described as one of the most talented Methodist preachers in Wales. As membership grew, the chapel was replaced by a larger one, seating 850 people, on the same site. Services were held in the town hall during the two-year rebuilding. At the end of 1900, Siloh had 512 adult members, 31 more on probation and 218 children.

John married Lilly Davies of Cwrt Mawr, Aberystwyth, in 1903. The couple moved to Bryn Peris in 1904. John remained there for the rest of his life. He was dogged by poor health. In 1906 a medical specialist advised him to rest. He went to Switzerland but decided the climate would be better in Llandrindod! He was there by November 1906, and returned to Caernarfon in April 1907.

He became editor of Y Traethodydd in 1905, soon after its publication place was moved from Holywell to Caernarfon. Its four issues per year contained essays on a variety of topics. He remained editor until 1928, then chaired the journal’s new board of editors.

Postcode: LL55 2HP    View Location Map