Bangor University

Bangor University

Since it opened in 1884, Bangor University has had a profound effect on the development of the city of Bangor. The University College of North Wales, as it was originally known, was established with £37,000 of donations. Some of the money came from wealthy benefactors, but most of the 8,000 subscribers were quarrymen, farmers and others on low incomes who were passionate about improving education in North Wales.

We are grateful to David Roberts, Bangor University's registrar, for his help with HiPoint pages which relate to the institution's history. Mr Roberts is author of Bangor University 1884-2009, published by the University of Wales Press.

Our thanks too to Prof Gerwyn Wiliams for information relating to Welsh-language literature.

HiPoints collection
Prichard-Jones Hall - where valuable National Gallery paintings were stored in wartime
Former London University science labs - students evacuated from London studied in this former shop
Portico of Penrhyn Arms Hotel - all that remains of the hotel which was the uni's first home from 1884
North Wales Heroes' Memorial - commemorates 8,500 people who died in the First World War
Garth Pier - a professor rented a kiosk here in the 1920s for marine biological studies
Islwyn Ffowc Elis' former home - the celebrated Welsh-language novelist wrote four books here in the 1950s

Outside Bangor:
Menai Bridge - graveyard is resting place of Bangor academics including marine scientist Prof Brambell
Conwy churchyard graves - hear Welsh alliteration as Prof Wiliams reads a poem about Elizabeth Holland