Site of De Valence Gardens, Tenby

Site of De Valence Gardens, Tenby

There was once an Edwardian pleasure garden here. The De Valence Pavilion continues the tradition of entertainment in this corner of the old walled town.

The De Valence Gardens were opened in July 1904 and named after William De Valence, Earl of Pembroke in the 13th century. He organised the strengthening of Tenby’s defensive town walls after Welsh attackers breached the original ones.

The new gardens were built by wine and beer merchant George Chiles, the Mayor of Tenby at the time. They were bounded on two sides by the town walls. The central lawn was surrounded on all sides by a broad path under a glass roof. Facilities included reading and writing rooms and a buffet.

Plays and concerts at the gardens were an immediate success. By May 1905 the glass roof was extended to cover the seating area in front of the stage, particularly to keep the rain off audiences in winter. Performers in the early years included the bands of the Royal Marines (from Plymouth), Wiltshire Regiment and Grenadier Guards.

The gardens were replaced by a theatre in the 1920s. In turn, that was replaced by the current pavilion in the 1970s. The venue closed in 2010 but was later reopened and refurbished by a local trust. Follow the link below for details of events here. The offices of Tenby Town Council are at one end of the building.

Postcode: SA70 7JD    View Location Map

Website of the De Valence Pavilion

Wales Coastal Path Label Navigation anticlockwise buttonNavigation clockwise button