Former home of poet William Morris, Caernarfon

slate-plaque

button_lang_welshFormer home of poet William Morris, Caernarfon

This house in Lôn Ddewi was once the home of Rev William Morris (1899-1979), Archdruid of Wales.

He grew up in Blaenau Ffestiniog. During his youth he was a friend of the poet Hedd Wyn, who was killed in the First World War shortly before being awarded the National Eisteddfod chair.

William was a Calvinistic Methodist minister in Anglesey and Conwy before settling in Caernarfon as pastor of Eglwys Seilo, where he remained from 1938 to 1961. He lived in Caernarfon throughout his retirement. During that period he officially opened the new Eglwys Seilo on 3 October 1976.

He was a prominent figure in Wales as a preacher and poet. When the National Eisteddfod was held at Neath in 1934, he was awarded the chair for his ode Ogof Arthur (which translates as “Arthur’s Cave”). That chair is still at Eglwys Seilo.

He was highly respected as an eisteddfod adjudicator. From 1957 to 1959 he was Archdruid of Wales (the Archdruid presides over the Gorsedd of Bards). He was made a Comrade of the National Eisteddfod of Wales – the highest honour the Eisteddfod can confer.

He was a prolific author whose literary output included volumes on the history and bards of the National Eisteddfod. He also wrote about Welsh preachers and writers.

With thanks to Richard Jones, of Caernarfon Civic Society

Postcode: LL55 1BH    View Location Map