Surgeon’s former premises, Swansea
The terrace of houses and shops which surrounds the entrance to Salubrious Passage dates from 1803. The plaque above Wind Street Stores carries the names of Thomas Williams, surgeon.
In 1804, he advertised in the newly-formed local newspaper The Cambrian “two commodious new Houses, situate in Wind-street, opposite the principal Inn (Mackworth), where the Mail Coaches arrive daily to and from London and Ireland”. The Post Office, public libraries and market were nearby and the “back-rooms command a delightful view of the sea, from which the houses are not more than two hundred yards distant”.
In 1808 he resuscitated 15-year-old Margaret Thomas, of Cwmbwrla, after her lifeless body was pulled from the water at the mouth of the Tawe. She and her friend Catherine David had tried to board the Swansea ferry, which crossed the river near today’s Sainsbury supermarket. They both slipped from the plank which served as gangway and were swept along by the strong current. Catherine’s body was found the next day.
Mr Williams died in January 1813 and his widow, Sarah, two months later. Their house in Wind Street was then advertised for let. It included two cellars “fitted up with bins”, two parlours at the front on the ground floor, and eight bedrooms. Behind was a garden with a stable and summerhouse. His household furniture, sold at auction, included “four-post and tent bedsteads”.
In 1827, the London Genuine Tea Company opened a branch at 54 Wind Street, selling “unadulterated teas”. In the 1830s a milliner called Mrs Evans sold, cleaned and altered hats at number 54.
By 1854, a saddler and harness maker occupied number 55. A fishmonger traded at 54, and 53 was the premises of Mary Mason, confectioner and pastrycook. In 1926, the buildings were home to two tobacconists, a paper merchant, a fishmonger, a stockbroker and the Royal Exchange Assurance Co.
Postcode: SA1 1EG View Location Map