Athletic Park rugby ground, Johnstown

LInk to Welsh translationAthletic Park rugby ground, Johnstown

Photo of Carmarthen Athetlic rugby team 1950Athletic Park has been home since 2009 to Carmarthen Athletic Rugby Football Club. The park occupies land where there was an army camp and prisoner of war camp in the Second World War.

The idea for Carmarthen Athletic club was first mooted around D-Day, 6 June 1944, when American soldiers had recently left the camp here. The club came into being later that year, amid optimism that the war was coming to an end and preparations could at last be made for better times. The old photo shows the team in 1950.

The club's home games were initially played at Five Fields in Carmarthen, and at council-owned Carmarthen Park. The clubhouse was at Friars Park, in the town centre.

Many of the club’s players have won Welsh international caps. They include Sid Judd (Wales debut 1953), Gerald Davies (1966), Emyr Lewis (1991), Vici Owens (2011), Ken Owens (2011) and Josh Adams (2018).

Photo of Carmarthen Athletic rugby matchFive Fields was eventually sold for redevelopment. Land here was purchased from Trinity College, and in August 2009 the club’s new Athletic Park home was ceremonially opened by Dennis Gethin, president of the Welsh Rugby Union. The pitch was blessed by Rev Phil Jones, vicar of Llansteffan and chaplain to the club.

Athletic Park is used for many other sporting activities, outdoors or in the indoor training facility. The clubhouse hosts business events, seminars and even weddings!

The museum at Athletic Park is open to visitors by arrangement – follow the link below for details. It contains hundreds of items of memorabilia, including jerseys, shirts and boots from players of various sports.

With thanks to Wynne Jones

Postcode: SA31 3QY

Carmarthen Athletic website – museum and other information