Former Crown Inn, Llangattock

PWMP logobutton-theme-crimebutton_lang_welshFormer Crown Inn, Llangattock

llangattock_crown_innThis cottage, now a holiday let, was once the Crown Inn. Rees Rees, the inn’s landlord in the 1860s, was not the most law-abiding publican! In June 1864 he was fined for being “drunk and riotous”. A week later, he was fined for keeping the inn open after closing time.

The following month, Police Constable John Lewis paid another late-night visit. Rees accused the constable of trying to ruin his family, then hit the officer in the face. In the following struggle, PC Lewis got Rees to the floor. Rees then summoned help from a customer who joined the fray. When PC Lewis ran away to his lodgings, his assailants followed and damaged the front door.

Magistrates ordered Rees to pay a £10 fine – more than £1,200 in today’s money – or go to jail for two months’ hard labour.

From c.1871 to 1916, the Crown Inn was kept by a Mrs Pugh, who caused the police no trouble. The license transferred to Rees Owen, a local stonemason, in 1916. His name is on the sign in the photo on the right, courtesy of Crickhowell District Archive Centre. His grandson, another Rees Owen, is standing in the doorway.

The adjoining Crown Cottage (once part of the inn) was then the home of Rebecca Williams, whose husband Joseph was away on active service as a stretcher bearer with the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. In March 1917 he was awarded the Military Medal for his bravery in carrying a wounded soldier to safety despite being under heavy shell fire.

Soon afterwards, the authorities told Mrs Williams her husband was missing in action. After an anxious wait for news, she was told he had returned to his unit. When he came home on leave in the autumn, Llangattock’s parishioners presented him with an inscribed gold watch. Roger Howells, of Kille Farm, paid tribute, having employed Joseph before the war.

Joseph, who worshipped at Bethesda chapel, served on the Italian front in 1918. He died, aged 28, in a hospital in Genoa on 22 November, 11 days after the war ended.

With thanks to Crickhowell District Archive Centre

Postcode: NP8 1PH    View Location Map

Website for booking a stay in The Crown

To continue the Llangattock in WW1 tour, walk northwards along Owens Row to the church
POWYS WAR MEMORIAL PROJECT  Tour Label Navigation previous buttonNavigation next button