Dol Peris, Llanberis

Dol Peris, Llanberis

This building, now a self-catering guesthouse, was once home to John Davies, whose tenure as a quarry manager became notorious.

In 1857 Dol Peris was described as one of several excellent places built recently for the purpose of hosting visitors, but John Davies and his family were living here by 1861 while he worked as a quarry clerk. He was active in the local community. For example, in 1864 he judged a one-oar boat race, part of the celebrations of the start of construction on the Carnarvon and Llanberis Railway.

An ambitious man, in 1874 he was appointed local manager of the Dinorwig slate quarry and moved to Blue Peris. A local newspaper lamented “the removal of Mr John Davies and his worthy family” from Llanberis, but the quarrymen probably wished he had stayed there because he became one of the most unpopular managers ever to have held that position. 

dol_peris_richard_and_jane_hughesAs the Davies family moved out in 1874, Richard Hughes and his family moved in. Richard was a chemist and later also a Baptist minister. One of his daughters, Katharina, appears to have been rather naughty in her childhood, as she scratched her name on the lounge window. Her inscription is still there, including her misspelt surname “Hughus”!

People collected medicines from Dol Peris, and the bridge over the stream west of the building became known as “Pont Hughes Drygîs” – in those days “druggies” were pharmacists (druggists).

By 1880 Richard was running Dol Peris as a lodging house. He is pictured in the garden with his wife Jane and one of their daughters. In 1881 Rev William Edwards, rector of Llanberis, and his family took lodgings here.

By 1907 the Hughes family had moved out and again the property offered separate accommodation, this time for two local newlywed couples. At this time Dol Peris was owned by Captain Hume and his wife Harriet, daughter of local chemist Joseph Hobley. He drowned in Liverpool in 1910 but Mrs Hume thrived in business.

During the Second World War, Harriet and her daughter Margaretta were living at Dol Peris, where they ran a café and offered rooms for borders. The weekly charge was 2 guineas (about £118 today).

Dol Peris was restored in 2013 after being purchased by Phill and Lisa George. The work uncovered most of the old fireplaces and, in the cellar, the bells the occupants used to summon servants. New Welsh slates were placed over the southern gable, recreating an original feature. Slates were often used to keep rain off exposed walls in the region.

With thanks to Dr Hazel Pierce, of The History House, and Ken Jones

Postcode: LL55 4HA    View Location Map

Website of Dol Peris self-catering guesthouse