Site of Corwen Pavilion

Site of Corwen Pavilion

Corwen Pavilion – where the first Urdd national eisteddfod was held – stood south of the footpath here, until its demolition in 2015.

The pavilion was erected here in 1911 using parts – including an iron framework – from an earlier building. Where that building stood isn’t certain, but it’s thought to have been a shed in which trams were parked at a depot in Birkenhead. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales noted that the openings for the trams to enter the building were clearly visible at each end.

The original building’s shape was altered when it was extended on all sides. For almost a century, Corwen Pavilion was a busy regional entertainments venue. Major bands such as Super Furry Animals played here. Sheep-shearing contests attracted entrants from many countries. It was also a centre for cultural and sporting activities for the local community.

In 1929 the Welsh youth league Urdd Gobaith Cymru held its first national eisteddfod at Corwen Pavilion. It took place over two days at the end of May, starting with a procession. The Urdd Eisteddfod, held annually in late May, is now one of Europe’s largest youth festivals, attended by c.100,000 visitors and more than 15,000 competitors.

Corwen Pavilion closed in March 2010 because of structural faults. The roof was leaking and the building’s asbestos would have added to the cost of repairs. Local campaigners got a court injunction in 2011 to save the building, but the injunction was lifted in September 2014 and demolition began in January 2015.

Postcode: LL21 0DR

Where is this HiPoint?