Former Christ Church, Caernarfon

Former Christ Church, Caernarfon

This church, with its tall spire, has long been a Caernarfon landmark. In 1999 it became the home of Yr Hwylfan (The Fun Centre), an indoor play facility for children and grown-ups.

The church was consecrated in March 1864, providing more space for English-language services than was available in the medieval St Mary’s Church. (Welsh services were held at Llanbeblig.) The architect was Anthony Salvin, a Gothic specialist from London. Construction was managed by Richard Parry of Menai Bridge.

The church spire was built later, in 1886. Fundraising began in 1887 for a peal of bells to hang in the spire, but in 1893 there were complaints that the bells still hadn’t been installed. The vicar sprang into action and ordered the bells in 1894, because he wanted bellringing to greet the Prince and Princess of Wales that summer as they proceeded from the nearby railway station to the National Eisteddfod.

The church organ was added in 1877 and rebuilt in 1905 with 2,412 pipes, making it one of the largest in Wales.

The church closed in 1982. Some of its internal features were preserved when the building became Yr Hwylfan. They include the chancel screen, made of cast iron at the town’s Brunswick Ironworks in 1928. The mini-museum in the fun centre includes historical information and objects.

Postcode: LL55 1AR    View Location Map

Website of Yr Hwylfan