The Pen y Bryn Hotel, Llanrwst
The Pen y Bryn Hotel, Ancaster Square
This former coaching inn reputedly dates from the 17th century. Unusually for a Llanrwst building, it has remained a hostelry for its entire recorded existence. Many other pubs in the town had different earlier uses, or have ceased to be pubs.
The arched entrance to the left was where cart horses pulled drays laden with beer kegs to the back yard. The inn’s name means “Top of the Hill” and refers to the elevated position of Ancaster Square, previously an earth mound. Notice how the main road outside the building starts to drop away in both directions.
In early 1893 the Pen y Bryn’s new landlord was John Williams, who had previously lived in Chicago with his wife. They kept the Crown Inn in Llanrwst for several years after returning to Wales. He died suddenly, aged 50, in May 1893 in his native village, Froncysyllte, near Chirk.
A later landlord, Edward Hope, was accused in 1905 of indecently assaulting his 15-year-old maid, Hannah Jones. Magistrates dismissed the case and said he had thoroughly cleared his name. The maid admitted she had stolen cigars belonging to Mr Hope.
In August 1907 there was a commotion when a cow wandered into the Pen y Bryn as it was being driven to a slaughterhouse. A newspaper reported: “After some persuasion, however, the animal was induced to leave, fortunately before any damage had been done to the contents of the house.”Postcode: LL26 0LH View Location Map