St Tydecho’s Church, Cemmaes

St Tydecho’s Church, Cemmaes

This church beside the river Dyfi has an ancient roof. It is one of several churches in the area dedicated to St Tydecho, who lived in the 6th century is thought to have arrived here by sea from Brittany or another region of Wales.

In 1254 the church at Kemeys was recorded as belonging to St Asaph diocese (it is now in Bangor diocese). Although the church was rebuilt in the 19th century, it retains the simple form of one long chamber. The roof dates from the 15th century, as could parts of the walls. Inside you can see part of a medieval rood screen, featuring carved vines, on the east wall.

The semi-circular shape of the churchyard boundary suggests pre-medieval origins. One of the churchyard’s oldest gravestones dates from 1720 and is near the church’s south-east corner. Set into the ground nearby is a large stone pierced by a small hole. It may have been used for playing a long-forgotten game in medieval times.

There is one war grave in the churchyard: the last resting place of Cemmaes resident Lance Corporal Andrew Davies. He enlisted in Ynysybwl, near Pontypridd, and served with the Welsh Regiment. He died aged 38 in February 1915, leaving his wife Mary, who at the time was living in Commins Coch.

Other local men who died in the world wars are commemorated on the village’s war memorial.

With thanks to Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust

Postcode: SY20 9PU    View Location Map

Parish website

More about the church on CPAT’s website