Craft in the Bay gallery
The Craft in the Bay gallery opened in 2002 as the new base for the Makers Guild in Wales. The guild was formed in 1984 to bring together craft workers and promote their work. The guild now has c.75 members working in a wide range of materials including ceramics, textiles, silver, leather and glass.
The building incorporates framework from Cardiff docks’ D Shed, a warehouse built in the mid-19th century at the west side of Bute East Basin. The building was occupied by the Belfast-Greenock-Glasgow Steam Packet Line from 1889 until the basin was filled in during the 1960s. A rail connection was provided to the D Shed, and perishable goods – such as coffee, tea, sugar, flour and potatoes – were stored there while in transit.
The cast-iron framework was dismantled in 1999 and re-assembled at the present site in 2001 and 2002 as the core of the new gallery building. This building, including an extension and contemporary wall cladding, was designed by Noel Architects. Slates from Penrhyn quarry, Gwynedd, were used for the new roof. The word “Rhymney” is embossed on some of the original roof trusses. This refers to their manufacturer, the Rhymney Iron Company.
Postcode: CF10 4QH