Former butchers’ shop, Deganwy
Former Jones Bros butchers’ shop, 81 Station Road, Deganwy
This shop was built during the transformation of Deganwy into a residential area and resort for well-heeled Victorians, after the rail station opened in 1866. In the 20th century the shop was occupied by Jones Brothers butchers.
The business included a Jones Bros butcher’s shop in High Street, Conwy, and a slaughterhouse in Gyffin, Conwy. It was owned in post-war years by Mrs Quinton Hazell and managed by her cousin, Frank Sidlow. The photo shows apprentice butcher Bob Evans (whose recollections are in the Footnotes) outside the shop in the 1950s.
Today the Olive Grove Café occupies the premises, but various remnants from the meat trade are still visible – notably the overhead metal rails where sides of beef would be hung. The narrow door leaves at the entrance are fitted with old blue glass, possibly intended to reduce glare from the afternoon sunshine. The cold store occupied what is now the back of the café, and the toilet is where the manager’s office was.
Jones Bros supplied meat to the Deganwy Castle Hotel and to wealthy residents such as Mrs Tate, whose family fortune came from the Tate & Lyle sugar refining company.
Postcode: LL31 9DF
Footnotes: Personal recollections