Former quarry hospital
Former quarry hospital, Padarn country park
The owners of the extensive Dinorwig slate quarry built this hospital in 1860, partly out of concern for the welfare of their employees but also to reduce the time employees would miss from their work if they had to travel to the hospital in Bangor and back. Some accidents left men unable to work again, others involved injuries such as bone fractures or loss of fingers.
The hospital had its own operating theatre for surgerical procedures such as amputation. In 1900 it was one of the first British hospitals to receive an X-ray machine, which is one of the exhibits in the museum now occupying the building. It ceased to function as a hospital after the National Health Service’s formation in 1948, continuing as a first aid centre until the quarry closed in 1969.
In 1890 Robert Mills-Roberts (1862-1935) became the hospital’s surgeon. He hailed from Penmachno, near Betws-y-Coed. He had played football (as goalkeeper) for Aberystwyth University, and joined Preston North End in 1888. In that season the club won the championship without losing any matches. The following year he was a member of the Preston team which won the FA Cup. He played for Wales eight times. In his late 30s, he fought with the British Army in the Boer War.
Postcode: LL55 4TY