Machen war memorial
Machen war memorial
The war memorial in Machen was unveiled by Lord Tredegar in February 1921, to commemorate the local people who died in the First World War. The names of the Second World War dead were added subsequently.
Where shown in the listings, click this icon for more details.
In 2010 the name of Mary Woodruff was added to the memorial. She had served in the Women’s Royal Naval Service and died shortly before the First World War ended.
We are grateful to John Rawlins for allowing us to draw on his research on Machen’s FWW dead, whose stories you can read in detail on his website.
Machen war memorial – website of John Rawlins
First World War
- James Banfield, Signaller Z/4591. Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve - HMS Viking. Died 05.07.1918, aged 19. Terlincthun British Cemetery. Born Tintern. Son of Shadrach and Mary Banfield of Commercial Road, Upper Machen.
- William EC Darby, Lieutenant. Monmouthshire Rgt 1st Battalion. 46th (Territorial Forces) Divisional Pioneer Battalion, attached 138th Brigade. Died 13.10.1915, aged 22. Son of the Rev JCS Darby and Emily Mary Darby, of Tyn-y-Ffynnon , Machen.
- Lovell Everson, Private 213. Welsh Guards 1st Battalion (formerly18755 Grenadier Guards). Died 10.03.1918. Arras Memorial. Born Machen, enlisted Newport.
- Walter Harrington, Second Lieutenant. Welsh Regiment 5th Battalion (attached 13th Bt Cheshire Rgt). Died 21.06.1917. St Quentin Cabaret Military Cemetery, Belgium. Son of Humphrey and Catherine Harrington, Algoa House, Machen. The family had previously owned the Royal Oak pub, Machen.
- Augustus Harris, L/Cpl 1182. Welsh Guards 1st Battalion. Died 16.09.1916, aged 23. Thiepval Memorial. Born Blaina. Enlisted Cardiff. Son of Thomas and Elizabeth Harris 13 Standard Street Trethomas.
- John Herbert Harris, Private 18911. South Wales Borderers 2nd Battalion. Died12.08.15. Born Machen. Enlisted Newport. Cape Helles Memorial, Gallipoli.
- Percy Thomas Heath, A/Cpl 17896. South Wales Borderers 7th Battalion. Died 05.05.1918. Doiran Military Cemetery, Greece. Born Hereford. Enlisted Newport. Lived in Machen. Awarded Military Medal in 1917 and Mentioned in Despatches in 1918.
- Hubert John Hoare, Private 2849. South Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales Volunteers) 2nd Battalion. Died 14.05.1915, aged 44. Born Beaufort. Enlisted Caerphilly. Son of Hubert and Emma Hoare, of Machen; husband of Mary Anne Hoare, of 25 Coedybrain Road, Llanbradach.
- Herbert Walter Hodges, Trooper 3650. Second Life Guards, Household Cavalry. Died 12.01.17. Brompton Cemetery, London. Born Machen. Enlisted Caerphilly. Married Florrie Darling in Caerphilly on 11.09.1916.
- Albert Horton, Private 17381. Second Grenadier Guards. Died 01.12.17. Born Aberdare. Enlisted Cardiff. Cambrai Memorial.
- Walter John Howells, Private 266782. Welsh Rgt, 17th (Bantams). Died 25.11.17. Enlisted Newport. Liver in Machen. Cambrai Memorial.
- Walter Jenkins, Private 36279. Died 02.10.1916. Welsh Regiment 1st Battalion (formerly 18809 South Wales Borderers). Born Machen. Enlisted Newport. Lived in Machen. Loos Memorial.
- Trevor Holmes Johnson, Private M/331293. Army Service Corps, 28th Lines of Communication Company. Died 04.07.1918, aged 35. Enlisted Kensington. Lived in Penarth. Son of Aaron and Mary Hannah Johnson, of 2 Beach Cliff, Penarth, Glam. Native of Machen.
- Rees Jones, Private 21124. Royal Welsh Fusiliers 14th. Died 06.05.1916, aged 22. Born Machen. Enlisted Tonypandy. Son of Mrs Sarah Jane Stacey, of 249 Cemetery Rd, Trealaw, Dinas (Rhondda). Son of Mr Rees and Sarah Jane Jones of New Row, Machen.
- James Kew, Private 18924. South Wales Borderes 1st Battalion. Died 31.03.1916. Born Machen. Enlisted Newport. Arras Memorial.
- Frederick George Lewis, Private 203498. Gloucestershire Rgt, 2nd/6th (Territorial) Batt. Died 28.08.17, aged 28. Born Machen. Enlisted Gloucester. Tyne Cot Memorial. Son of John and Anne Lewis of The Mill, Chatham, Machen.
- Alfred Matthews, Private 1315. Monmouthshire Rgt 1st Battalion. Died 13.10.1915, aged 43. Born Brecon. Enlisted Caerleon. Lived in Machen. Son of Walter and Mary Anne Matthews. Loos Memorial.
- Sidney Mayberry, Private 14705. South Wales Borderes 5th Battalion (Divisional Pioneers). Died 25.07.1916, aged 43. Born Machen. Enlisted Newport. Son of blacksmith William Mayberry of 3 Lewis Street, Machen.
- William Morgan, Private 26089. South Wales Borderers 1st Battalion (A Company). Died 21.12.1916, aged 35. Born Lower Machen. Enlisted Newport. Aged 35. Son of David and Anne Morgan, of Pinrhiwgwial Cottages, Lower Machen.
- John Pugh, Sapper, 323536. Royal Engineers 98th Light Railway Company (formerly with Welsh Rgt). Died 30.12.17. Born Glasbury, Radnorshire. Enlisted Caerphilly aged 37 in 1915. Lived at The Gables, Wyndham Street, Machen. Killed when the troop ship Aragon was sunk while en route for Egypt. Worked as a railway shunter before the war. Left a wife and three children.
- Albert Joseph Rees, Private, 37958. East Yorkshire Rgt, 2nd Battalion. Died 11.01.18, aged 20. Born Maesteg. Enlisted Newport. Struma Military Cemetery, Greece. Lived at Dranllwyn, Machen. Son of Joseph and Mary Anne Rees of Picton House, Park Crescent, Machen.
- DJ Rees
- James Herbert Richards, Private, 2208. Welsh Guards, 1st Battalion. Died 16.09.1916. Thiepval Memorial. Born Abercarn. Enlisted Newport.
- Thomas Rosser, Gunner, 247200. Royal Field Artillery, C’ Battery 277th Brigade. Died 31.10.1918. Valenciennes Cemetery. Enlisted Caerphilly. Liver at Penrhiwgail Cottage, Lower Machen.
- Arthur Herbert Rowles, Gunner, 124198. Royal Garrison Artillery, 200 Siege Battery. Awarded the Military Medal. Died 23.08.1918 of gas poisoning. Mont Huon Military Cemetery, France. Born Swindon. Enlisted Caerphilly. Lived in Bedwas. Son of Herbert John and Edith Amelia Rowles, of Trethomas, Bedwas, Cardiff.
- William Shute, Private, 31668. South Wales Borderers, 1st Batt. Died 20.08.1918. Born Aberavon. Enlisted Newport. Buried at Outtersteene Communal Cemetery Extension, France.
- A Thomas
- Thomas Arthur Thomas, Private, 9916. Royal Fusiliers, 9th Batt. Born Bedwas. Enlisted Cardiff. Lived in Machen. Died 07.10.1916, aged 25. Grevillers British Cemetery, France. Son of Arthur Knight Thomas and Elizabeth Thomas of Nantygleisiad, Machen. Educated at University College Cardiff. Worked as a mining engineer.
- Hiram Percy Whittingham, Gunner, 202186. Royal Artillery, RGA. Died 30.06.1920, aged 25, of tuberculosis at Colliers Row, Machen. Born Machen. Lived at 8 Riverside Terrace, Machen.
- Mary Woodruff, G/2609. Women’s Royal Naval Service. Died 18.10.1918. Lived in Machen. Buried at St John’s Churchyard, Machen. Daughter of Lance Woodruff of Glan-yr-Afon, Machen. Enlisted June 1918 and served first at Shikari II (an auxiliary patrol base in Swansea) and from August until her death at President III, an administrative base in Bristol.
Second World War
- Ronald William Beach, Flight Sergeant 1412531. Died 30/03/1944 aged 21. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Alamein Memorial. Son of William Henry and Audrey Bessie Beach.
- Ronald William Creddington, Gunner 959265. Died 29/06/1944 aged 25. Royal Artillery. Buried Hermanville War Cemetery. Son of Albert and Rose Credgington; husband of Rosina Credgington of Newbridge.
- Michael Govier Cross, Warrant Officer 1314932. Died 16/07/1944 aged 23. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Buried Machen (St John) Churchyard. Son of Tom and Margaret Cross.
- G Daley.
- David John Davies, Private 3914404. Died 21/07/1944 aged 28. South Wales Borderers. Buried Prague War Cemetery. Son of Robert George and Eleanor Jane Davies.
- Hiram Edwin Davies, Flight Sergeant 1317697. Died 25/06/1943 aged 22. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.Runnymede Memorial. Son of Edwin and Alice Mary Davies of Machen. Not named on Machen war memorial.
- Percy Gerald Deverrine, Second Engineer Officer. Died 02/01/1942 aged 46. Merchant Navy - SS Waziristan (Newcastle-on-Tyne). Tower Hill Memorial.
- Frederick Hopkin Smith Evans, Leading Aircraftman 1208138. Died 04/02/1945 aged 38. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Buried Heliopolis War Cemetery. Son of George and Cordelia Evans; husband of Lily Evans of Risca.
- Ivor Charles Green, Serjeant 1605196. Died 13/08/1943 aged 29. Army Educational Corps. Buried Thanbyuzayat War Cemetery. Son of Alfred and Elizabeth Green.
- Hubert James Lewis Harris, Sergeant 566343. Died 30/03/1940 aged 24. Royal Air Force. Buried Michaelston-y-Fedw (Tirzah) Baptist Churchyard. Son of Samuel C Harris and Frances M Harris of Lower Machen.
- A Hill.
- Arthur Frederick Jeremiah, Corporal 1886084. Died 12/11/1943 aged 25. Royal Engineers. Buried Sangro River War Cemetery. Son of Archibald and Margaret Ann Jeremiah.
- Trevor Jones, Corporal 5348533. Died 06/01/1945 aged 22. South Wales Borderers. Awarded Military Medal. Buried Taukkyan War Cemetery. Son of Edward William and Mabel Jones.
- Leslie Charles Prince, Lance Bombardier 1515098. Died 10/09/1943 aged 24. Royal Artillery. Buried Bari War Cemetery. Son of George and Lillian Prince; husband of Joan Prince of Bargoed.
- WS Ransome. Probably: Stanley William Ransom, Corporal 3908259.Died 28/01/1942 aged 27.Welch Regiment. Alamein Memorial. Son of William and Ellen Ransom; husband of Moreen Ransom of Trethomas.
- O Rees.
- John Henry Rutter, Lance Bombardier 1543466. Died 05/03/1943 aged 29. Royal Artillery. Singapore Memorial. Son of Elizabeth Rutter; husband of Elizabeth Lorraine Rutter of Bassaleg.
- Charles Edward Tuckwell, Petty Officer D/J 115434. Died 30/01/1944 aged 43. Royal Navy - HMS Hardy. Plymouth Naval Memorial. Son of William and Sarah Tuckwell; husband of Ethel J Tuckwell of Plympton St Mary, Devon.
- Gilbert Wheeler Whittles, Sergeant 1836276. Died 27/04/1944 aged 19. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Buried Durnbach War Cemetery. Son of James Whittles and Annie Waller Whittles.
- Thomas Elvyn Worthington, Gunner 1818946. Died 08/01/1943 aged 35. Royal Artillery. Buried Yokohama War Cemetery. Son of Thomas Henry and Elizabeth Worthington; husband of Morfydd Worthington. Awarded BA (London).