Minffordd rail station

Minffordd rail station

Minffordd simply means “road side”. Ffordd = road. Here it refers to a group of houses by the road between Porthmadog and Penrhyndeudraeth which were built for workers at the nearby granite quarry, which remains active.

To hear how to pronounce Minffordd, press play: Or, download mp3 (12KB)

Here the narrow-gauge Ffestiniog Railway crosses over the standard-gauge Cambrian Coast line at right angles. Minffordd station opened in 1872 for interchange between the railways. The lower platform is now served by Arriva Trains Wales services between Pwllheli and Machynlleth. The upper section features a large station building from c.1880 and, nearby, a large oak tree. A long garden accompanies the opposite platform.

Minffordd provided facilities for goods as well as passengers to transfer between the railway systems. West of the FR station, trains loaded with slate from the Blaenau Ffestiniog quarries were switched onto a track which turned through 180 degrees as it descended to a complex of sidings, where wagons of both gauges came side by side. Loaded wagons were weighed at Minffordd before their contents were transhipped to standard-gauge wagons here or taken to Porthmadog harbour. Slate-quarry owners had private wharves at Minffordd, echoing the wharves at the harbour.

Minffordd FR station closed in 1939 and reopened in 1956. The sidings are still used by the FR, mainly for storing rolling stock and loading track materials onto wagons. Volunteers who work on the railway in their spare time can stay at the FR hostel here.

With thanks to Prof Hywel Wyn Owen, of the Welsh Place-Name Society

Where is this HiPoint?

Ffestiniog Railway on HistoryPoints.org

Website of the Ffestiniog Railway

Wales Coastal Path Label Navigation anticlockwise buttonNavigation clockwise button
Ffestiniog Railway Tour label Navigation away from Porthmadog buttonNavigation towards Porthmadog button