The Coal Exchange, Cardiff Bay

The Coal Exchange, Mount Stuart Square, Cardiff

The first ever cheque for £1 million was signed in 1909 here, at the Cardiff Coal Exchange.

The building was erected in 1884-1886, on what was previously the gardens at the centre of Mount Stuart Square, by the Cardiff Exchange and Office Co Ltd. The company was founded by Frederick de Courcy Hamilton, a local solicitor who played a formative role in Cardiff’s development. Another of his companies built Duke Street Arcade and High Street Arcade.

The Exchange provided a suitably grand setting for representatives of South Wales colliery companies to negotiate sales and shipping deals for their coal.

The exchange closed in 1958, following a long decline in coal export through Cardiff. The building was subsequently used for concerts, meetings and other activities. Before the people of Wales voted against devolution in 1979, the Coal Exchange was suggested as a home for the proposed Welsh Assembly.

The building is now home to The Exchange Hotel.

Postcode: CF10 5EB    View Location Map

Website of The Exchange Hotel