Former Imperial Hotel

Former Imperial Hotel, Station Road, Colwyn Bay

For many years, in the late 19th century, this building and the Station Hotel (at the top of Station Road) were the only buildings on this side of Station Road; between them were fields where cattle grazed. The Imperial was built as an hotel during Colwyn Bay's heyday as a summer holiday destination. It has always been known locally as “The Imp”. In its early years it was a prestigious establishment, mainly due to its proximity to the railway station. 

In 1939 the Imperial, along with many other hotels in Colwyn Bay, was taken over by the Ministry of Food. The Merchant Navy Control Department had offices in the Imperial, from where the officials monitored the ships going into and out of Liverpool.

It was also here that Ministry officials attempted to assess the public’s dietary requirements, with a view to producing a ration book which would be acceptable to the British people.

After the war the hotel never returned to its former glory. The bedrooms remained empty and the bulk of the business was concentrated on the ground-floor bar.

With thank to Graham Roberts, of Colwyn Bay Civic Society. His book ‘Colwyn Bay at War, from Old Photographs’, is published by Amberley Publishing.

Where is this HiPoint?

Postcode: LL29 8BP

Dig for Victory Tour Label Navigation previous buttonNavigation next button