Brynich lock

Brynich lock

This lock was the first on the Monmouthshire & Brecon Canal to be restored after the canal fell into dereliction.

The lock was created when the canal was built c.1800. The section of canal which crosses the river Usk on the nearby Brynich aqueduct is lower than the final stretch of water into Brecon. Boats enter the lock chamber to be raised or lowered, so that they can proceed from one section to the other.

The last toll for movement of goods along the canal was paid in 1933. Later the waterway became impossible to navigate by boat, although it continued to be a water supply route. In the 1950s, three campaigners used canoes to cross Brynich aqueduct to draw attention to the neglect and the canal’s potential as a leisure asset.

Volunteers were inspired to start restoring the canal in the 1960s. The reopening of Brynich lock was a milestone on the route to the restoration of the canal between Brecon and Pontymoile, near Cwmbrȃn. It’s thanks to their dedication and hard work that we can enjoy cruising, walking and cycling along the canal today.

The bridge over the canal here is joined to the lock walls. The road continues across the river Usk on a five-arch stone bridge constructed in the late 18th century.

With thanks to Phil Hughes, editor of 'The Mon and Brec Guide', published by Phil Hughes Management Co.

View Location Map