Criccieth war memorial

Link to Welsh translationCriccieth war memorial, High Street

The town’s war memorial takes the form of a Memorial Hall. Inside, there are lists of the local people who died in the First and Second World Wars. To read their details, choose a category below.

The hall was built with public donations. The foundation stone was laid in June 1922 by Prime Minister David Lloyd George, whose childhood home is in nearby Llanystumdwy. Curved oak doors, still inset with their original Art Deco glass panels, surround the hall’s Memorial Foyer. The wrought-iron gates were donated by Criccieth Women's Institute.

The building was renovated in the 1970s by a management committee which had taken over the venue from the local council. Further improvements in the 1990s, with the help of the National Lottery, equipped the hall for its role as a community and entertainment venue.

Many of the names on the memorial are of sailors. They include Captain Robert Thomas who was shipwrecked twice before the war, on one occasion surviving eight days in a ship’s lifeboat in the South Atlantic with his pregnant wife and young son. Like his father, grandfather and son, he died at sea.

With thanks to Adrian Hughes, of the Home Front museum, Llandudno, and Robert Cadwalader, of Porthmadog Maritime Museum

Where is this HiPoint?

Postcode: LL52 0HB

First World War

Second World War

Website of Criccieth Memorial Hall

National Cycle Network Label Navigation previous buttonNavigation next button