Dolgarrog war memorial
This memorial commemorates the local men who died in the First and Second World Wars. Their details, where known, are given below. The memorial was erected by the Dolgarrog branch of the Royal British Legion in 1927, the year the branch took over the former Porth Llwyd Hotel.
Among those named on the memorial is Harry Claude Jack, whose father was managing director of the aluminium factory in Dolgarrog. Harry served with the Highland Light Infantry and was training with the Royal Flying Corps (predecessor of the RAF) when he died in a plane crash in 1916.
Also killed in a flying accident, in the Second World War, was John Noel Mahler. He had previously received the Distinguished Flying Cross for his skill and bravery in landing a damaged bomber to enable all the crew to escape.
Postcode: LL32 8JU View Location Map
Where shown, click this icon for more details.
First World War
- John Thomas Jones, Private 8252. Died 31/10/1914 of wounds received at Mons. Royal Welsh Fusiliers 2nd Bn. Bailleul Communal Cemetery. Also named on Talybont war memorial.
- Owen Lloyd, Private, Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Of Plas Arfon. Also named on Talybont war memorial.
- John MacDonald, Private 18683. Died 03/02/1917. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Basra Memorial. Also named on Talybont war memorial.
- William Williams, Private, Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Of Rala. Also named on Talybont war memorial.
- E Thomas, 40464, died 05/04/1917, age 25. Royal Welsh Fusiliers 1st Bn. Buried at Euston Road Cemetery, Colincamps, France. Son of Thomas Peter and Catherine Thomas of 4 Mount Pleasant, Rowen.
- Owen Williams, Gunner, RFA. Of Hednant. Possibly Gunner 215726. Died 22/08/1917. Royal Field Artillery. Buried Artillery Wood Cemetery. Also named on Talybont war memorial.
- A Lloyd, Fus
- Charles Carpenter, gunner, 108687, died 24/04/1917, age 41. Royal Field Artillery "A" Bty, 79th Bde. Buried at Faubourg D'amiens Cemetery, Arras, France. Son of Mrs Carpenter of Wood View, Wrecclesham, Farnham; husband of Maria Carpenter of 18 Gwydr Road, Dolgarrog. Left a widow and 10 children, two of whom were in the army. Also associated with 7 Hillside Cottage. Also named on Talybont war memorial.
- Charles H Roberts, Private 204032. Died 06/11/1917. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Beersheba War Cemetery. Of Machno Terrace, Dolgarrog. Also named on Talybont war memorial.
- J Pettifor, Serjeant 15481. Died 06/05/1918, age 25. Royal Welsh Fusiliers 11th Bn. Doiran Memorial. Son of John Robert and Ellen Pettifor, of 1, Glan Dulyn Terrace, Talybont, Talycafn. Wounded on the Somme in 1916. Also named on Talybont war memorial.
- Harry Claude Jack, Second Lieutenant. Died in flying accident 01/09/1916, aged 23. Royal Flying Corps and Highland Light Infantry. Gosport (Ann’s Hill) Cemetery. Only son of Henry Joseph Jack, manager of Dolgarrog aluminium works, and Emily Jack of Maenan Manor. Educated in Brussels and London. Was a civil engineer for North American railroads before the war.
Second World War
- Peter Davies Randall, Sergeant, 567345, died 30/12/1941, age 24. RAF 76 Sqdn. Commemorated at Runnymede memorial, England. Son of John and Martha Randall of Dolgarrog.
- J Smith Sgt Obs
- John Noel Mahler, Squadron Leader, 37452, died 17/01/1942, RAF 7 Sqdn. Awarded Distinguished Flying Cross. Buried at Cambridge Cematorium, England. Son of Henry and Mary Margaret Mahler of Conwy. Also named on Talybont war memorial.
- WR Hughes. Possibly: William Robert Hughes, Gunner, 4191063, died 02/07/1944, age 25. Royal Artillery 360 Bty., 110 Lt. A.A. Regt. Buried at St. Manvieu War Cemetery, Cheux, France. Son of Robert and Laura Hughes; husband of Margaret Kate Hughes of Cwm Penmachno.
- Edgar Roberts, Warrant Officer Class II, C.S.M., died 09/07/1944, age 34. Essex Regiment 2nd Bn. Buried at Hottot-les-Bagues War Cemetery, France. Husband of Sarah Roberts of Dolgarrog.
- Robert Williams Davies, Private, 14640103, died 17/07/1944, age 19. Royal Warwickshire Regiment 1/7th Bn. Buried at Fontenay-le-Pesnel War Cemetery, Tessel, France. Son of Cromwell and Dora Davies of Talybont, Conwy Valley
- Jack Evans, Aircraftman 2nd Class, died 04/09/1944, age 20. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Talybont Calvinistic Methodist Chapelyard. Son of Mary Elizabeth Evans (nee Stallard) and stepson of William Evans, of Dolgarrog.
- Gordon Frazer MacDonald, private, 3607535, died 11/11/1944, age 22. Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders 8th Bn. Buried at Bologna War Cemetery. Son of Ian Alexander and Annie Blodwen MacDonald; husband of Adelaide Mary MacDonald of Oldham. Also named on Llanrwst war memorial.
- Frederick Arthur William Jones, Private, 1094390, died 09/12/1944, age 25. The Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey) 2/5th Bn. Buried at Forli War Cemetery, Italy. Son of John and Elizabeth Jane Jones of Dolgarrog.
- Hugh Caradoc Davies, Fusilier, 14731130, died 25/04/1945, age 30. Royal Welsh Fusiliers 4th Bn. Buried at Becklingen War Cemetery, Germany. Son of Hugh and Ellen Elizabeth Davies; husband of Vera D Davies, of Dolgarrog.
- Ivor Jones, Private, 1832878, died 18/03/1943, age 27. Pioneer Corps. Buried at Penmachno cemetery. Son of Evan and Kate Jones of Penmachno; husband of Ann Megan Jones of Dolgarrog. Not named on Dolgarrog war memorial.
- R H Jones, Flying Officer, 171937, died 23/06/1945, age 23. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Buried at Caerhun (St Mary) Churchyard. Son of William Gethin Jones and Catherine Agnes Jones of Dolgarrog.