Holy Trinity Church, Mostyn Street, Llandudno
After the roof was blown off St Tudno’s Church on the Great Orme in 1839, a new church was built nearer the town in 1840: St George’s on Church Walks. This was at first adequate for the local Welsh-speaking population. However as the town developed, and with the increase in the number of English-speaking visitors, it became apparent that another church was needed nearer the town centre.
Land was donated by the Mostyn family, whose architect George Felton designed Holy Trinity Church in the Neo-Gothic style The cornerstone was laid in 1865 and the foundation stone records that Lady Augusta Mostyn performed the ceremony. However, on the day Lady Augusta was ill so the rector’s wife, Mrs Katherine Anwyl Morgan, actually laid the stone. The Church was partly completed in 1872 and consecrated in 1874.
In 1892 the tower was added and in early 1893 a peal of eight bells was installed. Holy Trinity has an active band of bell ringers and is the only church in the area with a peal of bells.
A War Memorial Chapel was added in 1924. This houses standards of Welsh Regiments and Ex-servicemen’s Associations and marble plaques listing all the local men who were killed in the First World War. The chancel was extended in 1932.
The organ is a three-manual instrument with nearly 2,500 pipes. It was originally built in the late 19th century by William Hill and was rebuilt in 1926 by Rushworth and Draper of Liverpool. The church contains some fine stained glass and carvings in both wood and stone.
Holy Trinity became the parish church of Llandudno in 2002, when St George’s Church was closed. St George’s is now offices but a Garden of Remembrance in the churchyard is still in use.
With thanks to John Lawson-Reay, of Llandudno & Colwyn Bay History Society, and to the Parish of Llandudno
Postcode: LL30 2PY
See the parish website for details of services, concerts and other events at Holy Trinity