Inshore lifeboat station
This lifeboat station, on Conwy quay, was established by the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) in June 1966 to reflect the rapidly growing popularity of Conwy harbour for leisure boating. When an emergency arises on the estuary or the sea nearby, the lifeboat is towed out of the building and down the ramp opposite for launching.
In 1970 the RNLI presented its bravery award, known as Thanks of the Institution Inscribed on Vellum, to three crew members of the Conwy lifeboat. They were Brian Jones, Ronald Craven and Trevor Jones. This was in recognition of the courage they showed when rescuing two men from the cabin cruiser Fulmar, which had broken down near the Great Orme. A storm was raging, with high waves and winds of force five to seven. Shallow water at the location added to the danger. The lifeboat made two runs alongside the stricken cruiser to enable the men to jump to safety.
The lifeboat service in the UK is provided not by government but by the RNLI, a charity which relies on donations from the public. Since it was established in 1824, the RNLI is estimated to have saved c.140,000 lives. It employs some crew members but most, 40,000 in total, are volunteers who leave their work, families or beds whenever their lifeboat is needed.
FOOTNOTES - Details of the Conwy lifeboats
Postcode: LL32 8BB