Muriau, now Conwy Tourist Information Centre

Muriau, now Conwy Tourist Information Centre

This building was erected in the mid-1880s for timber merchant Humphrey Lewis and his wife Adelaide. One of their three sons, named Arthur, died in the First World War.

Humphrey and his brother Peter owned thriving timber yards in Llanrwst and on Benarth Road, Conwy, plus a boat-building yard near Conwy quay. As you can see inside, the ornate timberwork reflects Humphrey’s line of business!

He lived with his sisters at 23 Castle Street before moving, by 1885, to Muriau. The 1891 census records at this address: Humphrey and Adelaide; their daughter and three sons; and three servants.

Humphrey was a town councillor, town mayor and Conservative Club member. He died in 1898. Adelaide continued to live here until 1904, when she left Conwy. From 1909 to 1914 it was the home of local solicitor James Porter.

A local defence unit of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers used Muriau in February and March 1915 for sleeping accommodation, an orderly room and office, paying a £5 weekly rent. The unit was formed in September 1914 for home service, and moved to Bedford in July 1915.

Arthur Starkey Lewis, who had grown up at Muriau, resigned his commission as a second lieutenant with the Royal Welsh Fusiliers in 1910. He re-joined for the war and died in France in May 1917, aged 32.

From 1915 to 1930, Muriau was occupied by officers of Conwy’s workhouse (which was on Bangor Road) with rooms sub-let to other local authority departments. From 1922 to 2002, the registrar for births, deaths and marriages was here. A community clinic was based here from 1979 to 2007. Elwyn’s Taxis operated from the first floor from 1969 to 2011, with vehicles parked in the yard behind.

Muriau became the town’s Tourist Information Centre in 2012.

With thanks to Ray Castle, Adrian Hughes and Conwy Archive Service

Postcode: LL32 8LD    View Location Map