Pant yr Afon shops
The central shopping area of Penmaenmawr is known as Pant yr Afon, because several streams run under the shops from the mountains towards the sea. “Pant” = hollow or valley. “Afon” = river or stream.
The centre was developed in 1870. Some of the shops were added to existing houses, for the residents to gain some income from visitors coming to the town via the railway and roads. The shops in Cambrian Buildings are sheltered by a Victorian arcade with glass roof.
One of the earliest developers was Thomas Patrick of Bedford. He befriended Prime Minister WE Gladstone, and on redeveloping the premises added a small hall which he named after the town’s most famous visitor.
Refurbishment of the Victorian shopping arcade was completed in 2009 with the help of the Townscape Heritage Fund, which has helped to regenerate the town. A produce fair is also held underneath the arcade monthly.
With thanks to David Bathers and Dennis Roberts, of Penmaenmawr Historical Society
Postcode: LL34 6AE