Rhyl war memorial
Unusually, this war memorial pre-dates the First World War but commemorates the dead of both world wars. The central section with the statue of the soldier was created in 1904 in honour of the six men from the area who died in the Boer War, or South African War, of 1899 to 1902. It stood originally on West Parade, near John Street.
In 1928 the memorial was moved to the section of the promenade near High Street. In 1948 it was placed in its current position, the Garden of Remembrance close to the east end of the prom. The original memorial is flanked by memorials to the people who died in the world wars. Also named are men who died in military service in Northern Ireland, the Falkland Islands and Iraq.
To read details of the people named at the Garden of Remembrance, choose one of the categories below.