The Old Swan Inn, Llantwit Major

The Old Swan Inn, Llantwit Major

This building most dates from the 16th century. It was a large house for that time, indicating that its occupants would have been wealthy.

Notice the ornate window openings. They’ve survived for centuries in remarkably good condition considering that they were carved in sandstone, a material which is often eroded by the weather. The cobbles along the front of the inn are also centuries old.

According to tradition, in the 11th century there was a form of bank on this site which belonged to Iestyn ap Gwrgan, the last Welsh ruler of Glamorgan before the Normans took over. He had his own mint and foundry in Llantwit Major. One of his coins was found as far away as Machynlleth during rebuilding of Owain Glyndŵr’s Parliament House in the early 20th century.

From the 1640s, Edward Maddock, owner of what’s now the Old Swan, was given permission to mint his own tokens. There was a widespread shortage of small coins at the time. The building may have become a shop or inn at around that time.

By the mid-1890s the Old Swan was kept by David and Elizabeth Hopkins. The 1911 census records that all of their children were also involving in running the inn. Their son Ivor was a brewer here but left in 1916 to join the army. He died of wounds in France in 1917, aged 31, and is named on the town’s war memorial.

With thanks to Llantwit Major History Society

Postcode: CF61 1SB    View Location Map


Website of The Old Swan Inn