Bethesda Chapel, Llangattock

PWMP logoBethesda Chapel, Llangattock

This building was erected in 1835 to replace an earlier chapel of 1768. Stone from the old chapel was recycled for the new one. There is still a cemetery at the old chapel site, south of the village.

Land for the new Bethesda Congregational Church was donated by Sir Joseph Bailey. He had inherited a fortune from Cyfarthfa ironworks, Merthyr Tydfil, and bought Glanusk Park, among other properties. Notice the side door in the wall which faces towards Crickhowell. This door was for carrying in coffins for funeral services.

The chapel still has its First World War roll of honour, placed in the vestry in March 1918. It lists the 19 men from the congregation who served in the war. Two of them lost their lives, including Willie Thomas, a Private with the Cheshire Regiment. He died in a hospital in France in January 1917, aged 24.

Chapel member Joseph Williams, a stretcher bearer with the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, received the Military Medal in 1917 for his bravery under fire. He died in a military hospital in Italy on 22 November 1918, leaving his wife Rebecca, who lived in Crown Cottage.

Some of the chapel members who survived the war lived the rest of their lives with disabilities. Tom Bevan of Penrhiw Farm lost an eye and was injured in his right arm and leg at the Western Front in Belgium. After being wounded in France, 19-year-old Willie Powell of Canal House had his left leg amputated at the knee in 1917.

Postcode: NP8 1LJ    View Location Map

Website of Bethesda Chapel