Crickhowell Post Office

PWMP logoCrickhowell Post Office

crickhowell_post_officeThis building was erected in 1909 after the General Post Office spent two years looking for suitable premises for a post office in the town. A 99-year freehold lease was granted in 1908 by Lord Glanusk for the site of the post office and neighbouring Clarence Villas. The photo on the right, courtesy of Chris Lewis, was taken soon after the post office opened.

One of the post office’s tasks during the First World War was to receive official telegraphs informing local families of the deaths of loved ones. In 1915 Hector Parsons began to work here as a telegraph boy. He was 14 years old. Memories of taking the news of war deaths to local homes remained with him for the rest of his life. He lost an uncle and a cousin in the war. The photo of him, aged 14, on the left is shown here courtesy of Cricrickhowell_hector_parsonsckhowell District Archive Centre.

Women were recruited to deliver the post and telegrams as the war depleted the numbers of men available for such work. In May 1915 Crickhowell post office took on its first postwoman, Miss Dorothy Siers, and a female telegraph messenger, Miss Lulu Freebury. Miss Gwladys Walker also became a postwoman in Crickhowell during the war, and continued in the role until October 1919.

Private WE Rumsey, of the Royal Engineers, had been a clerk at Crickhowell post office before enlisting. While on leave in January 1916, he married Vera Townsend at Danycastell Methodist church. The couple went to Mumbles for their honeymoon.

In 1921 a captured German artillery gun was placed on display on a plinth adjacent to the post office.

With thanks to Crickhowell District Archive Centre

Postcode: NP8 1AE    View Location Map