Brecon Presbyterian Church

PWMP logoBrecon Presbyterian Church, The Watton

This church was built in the 1860s to cater for the increase in English speakers in Brecon after the advent of railways and the British and National Schools (which taught in English). The foundation stone was laid in January 1866.

The church was designed, with space for 500 worshippers, by Reading-based architect WF Poulton and built by the Williams brothers of Llanfaes, Brecon, The prominent spire was repaired in the 1950s after lightning damage.

Many members of the congregation served in the armed forces in the First World War. They included Charles Davies, who left his job as a plasterer to join the South Wales Borderers. He died of illness in India in 1916. He was 24 years old and left his wife Margaret and their child.

A framed Roll of Honour hangs in the vestry.

With thanks to Steve Morris of Breconshire Local & Family History Society

Postcode: LD3 7ED    View Location Map

Website of Brecon Presbyterian Church