Nantclwyd y Dre
This black and white house is a remarkable survivor from the decades when Ruthin, like many other Welsh towns, was rebuilt after the destruction wrought by the army of Welsh rebel Owain Glyndwr. Timbers in the house’s earliest part have been carbon dated to 1435 or 1436. At that time the land on which the house stands belonged to weaver Goronwy ap Madog and his English wife Suzanna. Ruthin was a thriving centre for weaving.
In medieval times, one of the house’s residents made a pilgrimage to Rome – recorded in a document which was uncovered during restoration works.
The name Nantclwyd y Dre was probably bestowed on the property in the 1720s. It was home to many influential people over the centuries. From 1834 to 1970, judges lodged here when sitting at the Ruthin assizes. In the late 19th century it was also home to a girls’ school.
In 1925 retired civil engineer Clinton Holme bought the house, where he was already the tenant. He removed the exterior render to expose the timber frames in 1928. The next owner, Samuel Dyer Gough, continued the restoration. His widow sold the house to Clwyd County Council in 1984.
Since 2007 the house has been a museum with rooms fitted out to show how different owners would have lived over the centuries.
Postcode: LL15 1DP
FOOTNOTES: Previous owners and occupants