RNLB Birds Eye, Seawatch Centre
The lifeboat which takes pride of place inside the Seawatch Centre at Moelfre is RNLB Birds Eye. It entered service in 1970 at New Quay, Ceredigion, having been presented to the RNLI by Birds Eye Foods Ltd. It was retired from service in 1990 and moved to Moelfre, having notched up 90 rescue missions and 42 lives saved.
It belongs to the Oakley class, named after its designer Richard Oakley. The prototype, built in 1958, was intended to restore the faith of lifeboat crews in self-righting boats. Previous versions had been unpopular but the Oakley class quickly won over the sceptics and was used for thousands of rescues over more than 30 years.
Moelfre Seawatch Centre was established by Isle of Anglesey County Council to present exhibits and information about the island’s rich maritime heritage to visitors and residents. In 2011 it was taken over by RNLI volunteers. Other exhibits include models of historic ships.
Postcode: LL72 8HY