Faenol Fawr Tudor mansion
This mansion, now a country house hotel, was built in 1597 by John Lloyd, registrar for the St Asaph diocese. That date is inscribed above two fireplaces inside. The dormer windows with their stepped gables were installed as part of a rebuilding project in the 18th century, with a nod to the house’s Tudor origins.
One of the rooms, now a dining room, retains its original fireplace surround, intricately carved in wood and featuring two shields, side by side (see photo, right). The walls are lined with wood panels, also from the 16th century.
Joined to the main building’s rear wing is a dovecote, thought to have been built c.1597. Other buildings at the site may also date from the same period. Near the main forecourt is the Old Farmhouse, which may originally have been home to the estate’s steward.
Postcode: LL18 5UN View Location Map