Old Llanberis railway station

Old Llanberis railway station

Photo of old Llanberis stationThe original section of this building was once the main railway station in Llanberis. The building has been much extended for its current role as a shop.

Llanberis was the terminus of a 13km branch line from Caernarfon, opened on 1 July 1869 by the London & North Western Railway. The line was primarily for moving slate and other minerals mined locally to destinations on Britain’s rail network. The Padarn Railway, on the opposite shore of Llyn Padarn, continued to carry slate but was configured primarily for the export trade. In 1873 the LNWR tried to extend the railway to the quarry terminal at Gilfach Ddu, but the local landowner objected.

Photo of freight train at LlanberisPassenger traffic on the Llanberis line was boosted by the opening in 1896 of the Snowdon Mountain Railway. Regular passenger trains ended in 1930, in the face of road competition, but the station was used by occasional tourist excursion trains into the 1950s. The last freight train left Llanberis on 3 September 1964. The Llanberis bypass road now follows the route of the railway.

The station building is now home to Llannberis Art & Craft, which sells fancy goods. There are old photos of the station on the wall behind the counter, two of which are reproduced here with the kind permission of the shop owners.

Where is this HiPoint?

Postcode: LL55 4TA

Other RAILWAY HiPoints in this area:
Llanberis Lake Railway - the narrow-gauge steam trains follow the former Padarn Railway, built for slate
Dinorwig quarry inclines - where slate wagons wereraised and lowered
Former rail tunnel, near Llanberis - you can walk through this tunnel, hewn through solid rock

LON LAS PERIS Tour label Navigation go East buttonNavigation go West button